History of the CCF

The Victoria College Contingent has a long and proud history dating back to 1883 with the formation of the Cadet Militia Corps. The Contingent's history is one of service, opportunity and sacrifice. Since 1883 Old Victorians have served and died in the conflicts of the late 19th and 20th centuries earning a total of five Victoria Crosses. These sacrifices have not been forgotten in fact quite the opposite is true. It is almost impossible to find a corner of the College where there is not a memorial plaque, trophy or indeed building to remember these Old Victorians.

Cadets no longer train for war but continue to serve the community through ceremonial duties and services to charities and the community. The wearing of the College Cap Badge and the various uniforms is a living tribute to both those Old Victorians and all those serving in the British Armed Forces. For this reason alone it is important that Cadets understand the history of the Contingent and in particular the service and sacrifice of Old Victorians over the past 133 years.

1883

His Excellency Major General Henry Wray CMG, the Lieutenant Governor ordered the formation of the College Militia Cadet Corps attached to the South Militia Regiment.

1903

The College took over the running of the Cadet Corps. The first Contingent Commander was Captain R. R. Raymer. At the time the Corps was attached to the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

1905

The South African Memorial unveiled by His Excellency Major General Hugh Gough CB, CMG, the Lieutenant Governor. The 20 yard Morris Tube range situated in the School Gymnasium was completed on the 4th March. The Corps first competed for the Ashburton Shield in School's Meeting at Bisley. The college were victorious
over Elizabeth College.

1908

Lord Haldane the Secretary of State for War introduced the Officer Training Corp at Universities and Junior Officer Training Corps at Public Schools. The Cadet Corps became an
Officer Training Corp and attended Annual Camp with the Public Schools Brigade at the Army's Aldershot Command Headquarters.

1914 - 1917

The Officer Training Corp had a share in the Defence Scheme for Jersey and carried out regular sentry duty at night in the Eastern Sector of the Island. It was responsible for three to four miles of coastline and was armed with live ammunition. It was deemed to be on active service.

1914 - 1918

One hundred and twenty seven Old Victorians (staff and boys) laid down their lives in the First World War. Their names are engraved on the plinth beneath Sir Galahad in the College Quad and in the First Book of Remembrance.

1918

The Victoria Cross was awarded posthumously to Temporary Lieutenant (Acting Captain) Alastair Malcolm Cluny McReady-Diarmid, 17th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment 1890-1917.

1919

The Victoria Cross was awarded posthumously to Lieutenant William Arthur McCrae Bruce, 59th Scinde Rifles (Frontier Force), Indian Army. 1890-1914.

26th October 1919

Lieutenant General Sir W. P. Braithwaite, K.C.B., O.V. visits the college and addressed the college during a full school assembly when acceding to the request that one of the four new houses should be called by his name.

April 1921

The First Book of Remembrance of Victoria College, Jersey. Being the Roll of Honour of Old Victorians who gave their Lives in the Great War (1914-1919). To which is added the Roll of Service and List of Honours. The Roll of Honour contains 127 names and includes a short piece of writing and a photo of each Old Victorian who gave their Lives. The Role of Service lists over 600 Old Victorians who served in the Great War and the Honours section lists the many medals and awards earned by Old Victorians.

 12thJuly 1921

Royal Guard of Honour mounted for Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary.

1924 26th September

Sir Galahad the First World War Memorial was unveiled by His Excellency Sir Francis Richard Bingham, the Lieutenant-Governor. "this memorial will endure to remind present and future Victorians of the splendid services rendered to their country by
those who passed out of this school"

23rdJuly 1935

Royal Guard of Honour mounted for His Royal Highness Edward, Prince of Wales.

30thMay 1939

Guard of Honour mounted for the swearing in of His Excellency Major General J M R Harrison CB DSO, the Lieutenant Governor.

1939 - 1945

Seventy-one Old Victorians (staff and boys) laid down their lives in the Second World War. Their names are engraved on the memorial in the Sixth Form Centre and in the Second Book of Remembrance.
 
1940 19th June

The German invasion of Jersey seemed imminent, the Contingent was ordered to destroy all uniform and to hand arms and ammunition to the military authorities. The uniform was burned in the College grounds.
 
1940 - 1945

The Corps was suspended by Army Council during German Occupation of Jersey.

1946

Training re-commenced with German equipment. Approval from the Army Council to reform the Junior Officer Training Corps was received on the 30th June. The Contingent establishment at this time was two officers and ninety cadets.
  
1947

Guard of Honour was mounted for Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, KG, GCB, DSO, PC. Montgomery was Britain's most celebrated General of the Second World War and is best known for his defeat of Rommel in North Africa. At the time of his visit to College Montgomery held the most senior post in the British Army he was Chief of the Imperial General Staff.

1948

Combined Cadet Force replaces the Officer Training Corps. Royal Guard of Honour mounted for Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent. The Signals Platoon was formed at College.
  
1949

Guard of Honour mounted for Their Royal Highnesses the Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh.
 
1951

Royal Air Force Section was formed (Air Chief Marshal Sir Michael Alcock OV - a founder member).

1954

The Shooting VIII first won the Cottesloe Vase at Bisley
  
1955

The Shooting VIII first won the Staniforth Cup at Bisley
 
1956

The Shooting VIII won the Montague-Jones Trophy at Bisley
  
25th July 1957

Royal Guard of Honour mounted for Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh.

1961

National reputation in full-bore rifle shooting reinforced by the College's only win in the Ashburton Trophy at Bisley.
 
1967

Lieutenant Colonel R. L. Eden OBE, TD retires after thirty-five years in-command. Eden became the longest serving Contingent Commander to date he was replaced by Lieutenant Colonel. J.F. Hamon, TD. Hamon was the first Contingent Commander to have served as a Cadet in the Contingent. In the same year the Contingent became a voluntary unit under the Head Mastership of Martyn Devenport parade day changed from Tuesday to Friday.

1976

Royal Navy Section established with 26 Cadets.

1978

A new Standard to commemorate the 75th Anniversary was presented by the Lieutenant Governor His Excellency General Sir Geoffrey Fitzpatrick to the Contingent Commander Major John Perry.

 25th May 1989

Royal Guard of Honour mounted for Her Majesty the Queen and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh.

2000

The Army Section ended its affiliation to the 10th Battalion, Parachute Regiment (Volunteers) and was reassigned to the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. In recognition of this change the Army Section exchanged their navy blue berets for the khaki berets worn by the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment. The Army Section retained the College cap badge but adopted the No 2 Dress of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment for parades and ceremonial occasions.

2001 25th July

Royal Guard of Honour mounted for Her Majesty The Queen.

2001 12th October

The newly refurbished Sir Michael Alcock Centre, (CCF Headquarters)
opened by His Excellency Sir John Cheshire KBE CB, the Lieutenant-Governor.
 
2002 December

Lieutenant Colonel R L Stockton stands down after 18 years as Contingent Commander. Lieutenant Colonel Stockton became the second longest serving Contingent Commander after Lieutenant Colonel Eden. Squadron Leader D J Rotherham becomes the first Contingent Commander from the Royal Air Force Section.

2003 March

The Royal Air Force Section wins the Air Squadron Trophy Competition to become the best Section in the British Isles.

2003 October

Old Victorian, Colonel John Blashford-Snell, OBE, FRSGS inspects the Contingent as part of the Biennial Review. New Contingent Standard blessed by the Dean of Jersey and Centenary Commemorative Medal struck.

 24th - 26th October 2008

2Lt JM Hale and 10 Cadets occupy the Jersey Trench for two days and two nights in support of the Poppy Appeal Launch and to mark the 90th Anniversary of the end of the First World War. The Exercise ended with the Cadets going 'over the top' on Sunday 26th October.

 18th July 2012

Royal Guard of Honour mounted for The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall's visit to Jersey as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

 September 2011

Capt CJ Rondel moves on to Wells Cathederal School to take up the role of Contingent Commander. WO J-P Fidrmuc joins as full time School Staff Instructor.

 August  2017

Wing Commander David J Rotherham retires after 27 years with the CCF, with 15 years as Contingent Commander. Squadron Leader S P Blackmore OV becomes the first OV Contingent Commander.

6th October 2017
Air Commodore Dawn McCafferty conducts the Biennial Review, the first female officer to do so.

December 2017
The Shooting VIII win the Staniforth Cup for small-bore shooting for the second time (last won in 1955).

 2018

The Army Section ended its affiliation to the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment and affiliated Jersey Field Squadron (The Royal Militia Island of Jersey) Royal Engineers. In recognition of this change the Army Section exchanged their khaki berets for the navy blue berets worn by Royal Engineer units and saw the reintroduction of original metal Victoria College beret badge.

March 2018

The Shooting team win Class D of the CCRS Cadet Forces Competition for small-bore shooting for the first time.

19th July 2018

The Shooting VIII finish second in the Ashburton Competition at Bisley. Our best finish since second place in 1962.