A History

(Photo: A new clock was unveiled by the matron, Marguerite Blomfield, on 27th April 2013 at the old College House, now part of Jersey College for Girls)

 

During its long and illustrious evolution, Victoria College has expanded its buildings and facilities far beyond anything envisaged when it was founded on the 29th September 1852. As an island institution it has also expanded and refined its curriculum and educational opportunities. Through its well-established and greatly valued partnership with the States of Jersey and the Education Committee, it has developed according to the needs of successive generations and the Island's changing demands. This partnership, with the fees provided by Parents, has enabled it to flourish and prosper. 

What We Have Done

 

The majority of new buildings have been funded by the States as part of their commitment to the Island education. These include the de Carteret building in 1953, the Prep in 1966 and the Science Labs in 1972. Subsequently, the extension of the Music School was completed and the Howard Davis Theatre modernised in 1977 and 1997. The Devenport block followed in 1992 and the redevelopment, the extension of the Sports Pavilion in 1996 and the Langford Sports Centre opened in 2002.

Since the re-location of the Jersey College for Girls in College House in 2000, we have the benefit of the shared use of new Art and Technology facilities as well as an 'all weather' games area. The Langford Sports Complex has been built for the shared use by Victoria College, the Jersey College for Girls and the General Island Community.

However, it must be recognised that other provision for College has been made without States funding. The original Howard Davis Hall, given in 1934 by T.B.Davis in memory of his son to house the John St Helier Lander's portrait of George V- now hung in the Great Hall - was the first of several important benefactions from outside the States. J.H. Wimble and J.E. Raynor also bequeathed money for scholarships to Oxford and Cambridge at about the same time. Old Victorians funded the Memorial Art School, now the Sixth Form Centre, for the College Centenary in 1952 in memory of Old Victorians who gave their lives during the Second World War. The Sports Pavilion, now extended, was a gift in 1950 from G.O. Laurens, in memory of his son and other Old Victorians who died during the war. Parents and Old Victorians funded the Swimming Pool and Squash Courts in the 1960s and 1970s.

After four years of planning, the Headmaster and Governing Body of Victoria College held an official opening of the new English Classroom Block on Friday 2 May. The guest of honour was Founder and Major Benefactor, Mrs Vi Davis, who had over 100 guests pay witness to her unveiling a commemorative plaque designed and cut in Welsh slate by Lida Lopez Cardozo, who was in attendance